Wish: Variable Not Used Warning

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Wed Jul 9 11:49:34 PDT 2008

Reply to Nick,

> I've been seeing alot in these last few years about such...I'm going
> to call it "intent oriented programming".

look up intentional programming.

> But I worry that eventually we'll get to some point where all code
> either is or can be generated straight from "intents" syntax. Now that
> certainly sounds great, but at that point all we really would have
> done is reinvent "programming language" and we'd be left with the same
> problem we have today: how can we be sure that the "code"/"intents"
> that we wrote are really what we intended to write? The solution would
> have just recreated the problem.

But the hope is that this stuff will be easier for you to read/evaluate,
smaller, written in terms that are closer to how you think of the problem
and further from how it's implemented.

At some point the issue arises of "is this what the end user wants?" (lint
can't help you there :)