lint for D

Markus Koskimies markus at reaaliaika.net
Thu Jul 10 04:00:41 PDT 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 07:53:54 -0300, Ary Borenszweig wrote:

> The thing is, you write all the code, then, from time to time you run
> that lint tool. You get 200 warnings. Will you want to correct them?
> Come on, those are just warnings, and 200 of them! Maybe there's no
> time, maybe it doesn't worth the effort. And you'd have to open up the
> code, remember what it was about, understanding it...

You are exactly right. That's why the checkings should be always used in
a build chain, and it should not allow the build to complete, if there
are warnings.

> In an IDE: you finish writing a method. Even while writing at it, you
> get the warnings. It's easy to correct, you are there, staring at the
> code. It won't take your time, you have the code in your head, you know
> why the warning is there and how to remove it. And you do it.

IDE plugin of course makes things easier, just like configuring your
favorite editor to execute compiler by pressing a key. Although I'm not
using IDE, I constantly compile the code (make) while editing it.