D Conference 2007 -- Slides (and now videos)

Koroskin Denis 2korden at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 07:52:47 PDT 2008

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 14:52:28 +0400, Brad Roberts <braddr at puremagic.com>
wrote:

> On 8/25/2007, Brad Roberts wrote:
>
>> The videos will come... later.  It'll be several weeks.  However, I've
>> posted the slides for all but one presentation (I don't have the latest
>> copy yet).
>>
>>     http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/speakers.html
>>
>> Walter took some pictures which I'll post on the website once I get a
>> copy of them.  I hope someone writes up a nice event summary (hint
>> hint).
>>
>> Later,
>> Brad
>
> Later has arrived.  The first 4 videos (3 presentations) are up on the
> website:
>
>   http://d.puremagic.com/conference2007/speakers.html
>
>   Walter and Andrei's talk (86 + 112 minutes):
>     http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6262259850172814399&hl=en
>     http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5552232015568336937&hl=en
>
>   Don's talk (41 minutes):
>     http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1440222849043528221&hl=en
>
>   Ben's talk (19 minutes):
>     http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1048204291439246024&hl=en
>
> Why those?  Somewhat random placement of the video's on the dvd's.  The
> rest, with the exception of Cristian's) will come tomorrow.  Christian's
> needs some editing before it can go public.
>
> Each of the talks has a description and a friendlier title already
> submitted, but after a few hours the updates haven't propagated out from
> the manager tool to the actual public website.  Presumably that'll
> happen soonish.
>
> Later,
> Brad

Awesome!

For those who can't/don't want to watch the videos online, here are links
to download videos and presentation materials:

Walter Bright and Andrei Alexandrescu
Jul 9, 2008 Walter Bright and Andrei Alexandrescu discussing the future of
the D Programming Language.
The future of D is a fun topic that's on the minds of, well, everyone.
These two will present a joint talk about what's coming, how it will
affect the language, and some of the reasons behind the changes.
Video, Part 1: http://tinyurl.com/62jlld
Video, Part 2: http://tinyurl.com/5vgnat
Presentation: http://s3.amazonaws.com/dconf2007/WalterAndrei.pdf

Don Clugston
Generating Truly Optimal Code
Jul 9, 2008 Don Clugston's presentation is about the innovative
metaprogramming features in D that give library writers the possibility of
generating highly optimised code on-demand, with a quality that was
previously only available to a compiler back-end. In this presentation,
the key techniques will be discussed, and illustrated using the BLADE
library, which performs basic linear algebra operations with a performance
equivalent to hand-crafted assembly code.
Video: http://tinyurl.com/67q2zn
Presentation: http://s3.amazonaws.com/dconf2007/Don.ppt

Benjamin Shropshire
Compile Time Abstraction
Jul 9, 2008 Benjamin Shropshire's talk at the D Programming Language
Conference:\r\n\r\nThis talk covers a number of topics involving template
compile time techniques. It begins with a quick intro to what these
techniques are. Then it proceeds into a more in depth look at some compile
time abstractions and a few novel compile time processing structures.
Lastly it takes a look at why, when and when not to use compile time
techniques.
Video: http://tinyurl.com/5rhdc8
Presentation: http://s3.amazonaws.com/dconf2007/BenS.ppt
Code samples: http://s3.amazonaws.com/dconf2007/BenS_code_examples.zip