DMD profiler very slow

Clemens Hofreither clemens.hofreither at gmx.net
Thu Jul 10 17:02:12 PDT 2008

I've just tried (again) to use DMD's built-in profiler, which sounds like a
great idea in theory. The problem is, it is DOG SLOW. A little benchmark
program I have put together runs in 0.04 seconds when compiled with
"-O", and in 2.75 seconds when compiled with "-O -profile". The program
that I actually want to profile is totally out of the question because I just
don't have the patience to wait for hours before even the initialization
phase is over, and even if I did the results would probably be totally
skewed from the profiler overhead anyway.

Have others made the same experience? Is there any chance the profiler
might get faster? Also, are there any free alternatives to the built-in
profiler on Windows?

-Clemens