An extolment for Walter

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Jul 10 17:14:47 PDT 2008

"Walter Bright" <newshound1 at digitalmars.com> wrote in message
news:g563h5$2kvl$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Yigal Chripun wrote:
>> All I want to say is basically: wouldn't it be better for D and much
>> faster if people could just create a modified test version of dmd to
>> test new ideas instead of trying to convince Walter to test those same
>> ideas himself? that way const would have been solved by now, and the 3
>> versions of it could have been developed simultaneously and require much
>> less effort to change.
>
> There's a 100% open source implementation of D - gdc. If someone wants to
> create an experimental branch, like gcc-concepts, it only takes
> motivation.

It takes that...and the patience and masochism to actually dive into the gcc
source.

Seriously, I tried twice to merge GDC with DevKitARM (another unofficial GCC
branch that adds support for modern Nintendo targets) and gave up both times
because every little step of the way was such an unbelievable
pain-in-the-ass. There's at least one other person that attempted it too,
and the last time I heard anything about it (many months ago) he hadn't
gotten much farther than I had.