DDoc vs Doxygen (Re: lint for D)

Leandro Lucarella llucax at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 07:58:13 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter, el 11 de julio a las 09:54 me escribiste:
> >I'm not very familiar with Doxygen, but from the sound of it, it reminds me of
> >the XML-based documentation C# uses. Ie, seems alright by itself, but it's
> >garbage compared to Ddoc. With Ddoc, I can actually read my own comments! Maybe
> >Doxygen and the C#'s thing have extra features, I don't know, but to me I can't
> >imagine it being worth giving up the ability to use a very natural and
> >unobtrusive style when writing my documentation-comments.
>
> Doxygen only looks like another programming language if you try to use every
> single feature it provides.  If you stick with the basic the set of features
> (basically, the things that DDoc provides) it looks pretty much like DDoc.  My
> main gripe with DDoc is that those $MAKE_THIS_BOLD(macros) everywhere look ugly.
> Much uglier than Doxygen's keywords like @param, IMHO.
>
> NaturalDocs is nice (http://www.naturaldocs.org/).  It really does a much better
> job of delivering on point 2. above than DDoc does (i.e. using typical comment
> style).  Unfortunately it hasn't really caught on.  Here are the examples:
> http://www.naturaldocs.org/documenting.html.
>
> But I think CandyDoc for DDoc gives the nicest output of all the options I've
> seen.

I really like RestructuredText[1], in combination with Sphinx[2] it make a
great tool to write documentation (reference and tutorial like).

Too bad is too Python-specific...

[1] http://docutils.sourceforge.net/rst.html
[2] http://sphinx.pocoo.org/