Wish: Variable Not Used Warning

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Fri Jul 11 10:16:54 PDT 2008

Reply to Markus,

> For decades, PC processor manufacturers are optimized their processors
> for software, not in the other way. That is why the processors execute
> functions so quickly, that is the sole reasons for having caches (the
> regular locality of software, e.g. the IBM study from 60's).

I hope I'm reading you wrong but if I'm not: The whole point of the talk
is that CPU's can't get better performance by optimizing them more. If the
code isn't written well (the code isn't optimized for the CPU) performance
will not improve... ever.

>> Are you suggesting that it's not
>> something programmers should be aware of?
> Yes, I am.

How can you say that? Expecting the tool chain to deal with cache effects
would be like expecting it to convert a bubble sort into qsort.