Wish: Variable Not Used Warning

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Fri Jul 11 14:37:07 PDT 2008

Reply to Markus,

[lots of stuff]

I think we are seeing the same effects from slightly different perspectives
and arriving at /only slightly/ different results.

As long as you have code that has a wide fan out of potential memory access
("in 42 instructions i might be accessing an of 2GB of data" vs. "I might
be accessing any of only 32 bytes in the next 200 instructions") deep memory
hierarchy will be needed because you can't fit 2GB or ram on the CPU and
accessing /anything/ off chip and (even things on chip to some extent) is
slow. PGA's and PPA's (programmable /processor/ arrays) might be able to
tackle some of these issues, particularly in highly pipeline centric programming
(Do X to Y1 to Y1e6) but this still requiters that the programmer be aware
of the CPU/cache/memory stuff.

Also, I have access to 2 P4's 3 P-III's and a Sparc. So If I want to improve
performance, my only option is wright better programs and that's something
that my tool chain can only do just so much for. Then I need to known about
the system. I'm all for better chips. And when they come I'll (where it's
needed) optimize my code for them. But till then and even then, programmers
need to known what they are working with.