A feature request

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 15 09:08:25 PDT 2008

"ÂÞÓ¸Õ" <yonggangluo at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:g41tbc$3d4$1 at digitalmars.com...
> I recommend that in D2 add a new keyword gcnew for garbage
> collection heap allocation.    the default new and delete key word
> just for someone that want management the memory by themselves.
> I think we just using new for garbage collection memory allocation
> and for someone that using new for memory management by themeselvs
> will misleading!

If you want C++, you know where to find it.  If people are thinking in C++
while programming in D, they shouldn't.

Changing D's new/delete to be for manual memory management would break
nearly every D project ever conceived.

Besides, such a change would make it appear that the 'normal' way of
managing memory in D is manually, and GC is the alternative.  Quite the
opposite of the way D is designed.

Besides, even if we did have this, would it:
- be just syntactic sugar for malloc/free?
- allocate on a third heap, besides the malloc heap and the GC heap?
- allocate on the same heap as GC memory, but with a flag not to GC it?
- something else?

Stewart.

--
My e-mail address is valid but not my primary mailbox.  Please keep replies
on the 'group where everybody may benefit.