[Suggestion] More deprecation features

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Jul 17 18:29:56 PDT 2008

On 2008-07-16 21:18:01 -0400, "Stewart Gordon" <smjg_1998 at yahoo.com> said:

> 3. Deprecating modules.  Currently, the compiler doesn't allow modules
> to be declared as deprecated.  A module being deprecated may signify:
>
> - that the whole API area that it is there to support is deprecated,
> either because it's an obsolete technology or because it's been
> superseded by another module
>
> - that the module has been renamed, and all the old one does is imports
> the new one for compatibility
>
> - that it was used for development/testing purposes and is no longer needed

I'm with you with that one. You can deprecate everything within a
module, but if you have a module which just pose as a group of public
imports and you want to deprecate that, then you're somewhat stuck if
you can't deprecate the module itself.

    module foo;

    public import bar.a;
    public import bar.b;

So yeah, I think modules should be allowed to be deprecated.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com
http://michelf.com/