Omittable parens is an evil

Tomasz Sowiñski tomeksowi at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 16:25:37 PDT 2008

Mike Wrote:

> For me it's mostly that there's a clear _VISUAL_ distinction between "this
> does something" (parens) and "this is data" (no parens); and in D there's
> no difference in this one (arbitrary) edge case. It's easy to "eyeball
> scan" code using parens pairs as visual anchors.

I agree. When coding, at first, I was glad to be able to snip the parens (makes code look cleaner), but then I came to the same conclusion - the illusory cleanness of code strikes back in the form of trouble with telling "something" and "do something" apart.

C# has proper properties. Why mess with the classic?

Tomek