To begin in D coming from Python

Luis P. Mendes luislupeXXXX at gmailXXXX.com
Mon Jul 21 04:51:23 PDT 2008

Hi,

I use to program in Python, but I need some programs to run much faster.
So, D seems to be as the best programming language for my needs.

Still, there's a long way to go because I've never programmed in C.

To begin with, is version 2 just a developer version or should I start by
using it?

In Python, lists can have variables, functions, text and others as
elements.  As far as I can recall from reading a C book, arrays in C
don't have this possibility.  What about it in D?

And regarding list comprehensions like li = [elem*2 for elem in li]?  is
there something close in D?

For example, how could I do something like:
valores = []
for c in lista_campos: valores.append(getattr(self,c)), so that I can
have all the

Is there also any construct similar to dictionaries?

Are there D libraries to access PostgreSQL database or do I have to use
C's?

I don't know about the theoretical issues regarding language development,
so documentation with good examples is a must have. Is there something
like www.diveintopython.org in the short term horizon?

These are just some topics I need to know about D.  I'd appreciate some
answers.

Luis