Unofficial wish list status.(Jul 2008)

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Mon Jul 21 13:54:30 PDT 2008

== Quote from bearophile (bearophileHUGS at lycos.com)'s article
> Sean Kelly:
> > I simply don't agree with the mixed functional / imperative approach
> > that appears to be the overarching direction of D.
> [...]
> > This may very well mean that D is simply not the language for me
> > in the long term. However, with C and C++ as the only real
> > alternatives for systems programming, there aren't many other
> > options available.
> I know this is a scary/huge question, but may ask you what kind of computer language is your
dream/ideal language?
> (I think all good programmers/technicians have to keep looking for better languages/tools for all their
professional life).

Depends on the problem being solved.  Right now however, Erlang backed by
D is the best I've found for general purpose server / distributed programming.
That gives me a control language with a good parallel programming model as
well as systems / mutable state language for optimization points, shared data,
and systems programming bits.  So perhaps roughly similar to D2 from a 1000'
viewpoint, but as always, the devil's in the details.

Sean