Unofficial wish list status.(Jul 2008)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jul 22 02:59:07 PDT 2008

Walter Bright:
> I agree that diverse paradigm support can lead to a mess. On the other
> hand, to be a mainstream language I think one must support diverse
> paradigms because programmers are diverse. Additionally, nobody really
> knows yet which horse is the right one to back for multicore
> programming, but functional certainly is a favorite.

Yet, it's becoming standard, in most places I look now people are starting to use different languages for different purposes. It's all the "the right tool for the right job" thing.
Especially in the dynamic language camp people mix Python with many other kinds of languages.
In some situations such mixing isn't too much difficult, for example if your want to use C# from IronPython or Java from Groovy, because those higher level languages are written in the lower level one and both run on the same VM.

Bye,
bearophile