Unofficial wish list status.(Jul 2008)

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Tue Jul 22 09:41:53 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly:
> But I very much believe that there is an ongoing need for systems
> languages, and I can't envision a functional systems language.  Such
> languages must allow mutable state.

There are many functional languages that allow to mutate state.

I'm sure the functional lang crowd will suggest you many functional languages that may be fitting for your requirements if you ask in the rigth places (like the Lambda the Ultimate blog).
Personally I may suggest this (with a lisp-like syntax, but it's not lisp), but I have not used it yet:
http://www.bitc-lang.org/

Bye,
bearophile