RTest, a random testing framework

Bruce Adams tortoise_74 at yeah.who.co.uk
Tue Jul 22 12:47:02 PDT 2008

On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 22:30:58 +0100, Fawzi Mohamed <fmohamed at mac.com> wrote:

> = RTest
> == RTest a random testing framework
>
> I wrote a framework to quickly write tests that check property/functions
> using randomly generated data or all combinations of some values (full
> coverage).
> This was inspired by Haskell's Quickcheck, but the result is quite
> different.

Personally I don't like the idea of randomly generated test cases. Test
cases need to
be deterministic and repeatable otherwise you don't have much chance of
tracking
down problems when your tests fail. That said, automatically generating
test cases
 from a deterministic pseudo-random number generator might still have its
uses.
It might be idea to add something that checks you have sufficient coverage
of
the range/domain's involved statistically speaking.

Regards,

Bruce.