Unofficial wish list status.(Jul 2008)

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jul 22 18:15:19 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Yep.  Thanks for sharing your experience.  I'm a researcher, so while
> I've been at this for coding thing for 20 years too, I don't tend to
> play around with a lot of million-line code bases written by
> million-monkey junior programmers.  I did do a short stint for a big,
> well-known software company once, and got my taste of million-monkey
> code, though.  Scary stuff.  They wanted me to modify some crufty parser
> to do some new tricks when there were absolutely no unit tests or
> example programs or even documentation to show me what it was supposed
> to be doing in the first place.  I'm amazed now that they didn't tell me
> to "figure out this mess and document it first, writes some unit tests,
> then add feature X" but instead they just wanted me to jump right in and
> throw more gasoline into the fire.  Yikes.

Microsoft once asked me why I didn't update the MFC library that comes
with DMC++. I said the problem was that MFC is a large complex system
with not a single test case for it (at least one that is available to
me). The existing one was tested heavily by others, and I know it works.

If I recompile a new version, I have NO idea whether it compiled
correctly or not. It took about a year to squeeze all the bugs out of
the existing one.

STLport is different, because that comes with a test suite. I can
recompile it, run the test suite, and I know it works.