OSGi and D

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Sat Jul 26 05:34:44 PDT 2008

Frank Benoit wrote:
> As Tom (and possbibly others also) showed, DDL [1] can be used for
> dynamic loading and linking D classes. Even unloading should be possible.
>
> With this, i think Equinox [2] could be done in D also. Equinox is an
> implementation of the OSGi, and this is a component technologie for Java.
>
> If we would have such an implementation, this would open the door to a
> variety of possiblities. E.g. a full eclipse rich client plattform port.
> Or the port of other OSGi bundles and combine them with D code.
>
> What do you think?
> What kind of obstacles do you see?
> Is there a use for this in D?
> Would it be worth the effort?
>
> [1] http://www.dsource.org/projects/ddl
> [2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox_OSGi

I think it would be great to have an OSGi implementation in D (not many
people would recognize the value in this, but it would be awesome). But
it would also be an enormous amount of work. Maybe not much if it's just
the OSGi framework, but if other bundles were to be ported (such as some
from Eclipse), it would surely be an Herculean effort.

But before we even think about that, is DDL even ready for that task? I
was under the impression that it wasn't stable or mature enough for such
work. Reading the about page
(http://www.dsource.org/projects/ddl/wiki/AboutDDL), especially with a
statement such as "It is presently in Beta, with a release scheduled for
late 2006 ", it seems to be fairly outdated.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate