Wish: Variable Not Used Warning

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Sun Jul 27 06:35:56 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:

> I'll draw on my 25 years of experience with warnings to answer this.
>
> If you turn warnings on, then you want to see them and presumably deal
> with them. If you don't deal with them, then they persist every time you
> compile, and either they get very irritating and you fix them anyway, or
> you develop a blind spot for them and never see the ones you do want to
> fix.
>
> Piping the output into a file and then perusing it manually looking for
> warning statements is never going to happen. Complex builds tend to
> produce a lot of output, and poking through it looking for warnings
> every time you build is not practical. Changing your build process to
> point out warnings is the same thing as the compiler treating them as
> errors, except it's extra work for the build master.

Of course it's not going to happen. Cause manually looking at the
compiler output is plain ridiculous. See my other post for details.

> Trying to educate your programmers into doing extra work to deal with
> warnings that scroll off the screen is a lost cause.

Again, anyone who firmly believes that trying to look at console output
is even a worthy cause to begin with (lost or not), is living in the past.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate