When warnings attack

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Sun Jul 27 08:34:56 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:
> Just saw this on John Ratcliff's Code Suppository
> http://codesuppository.blogspot.com/
>
> """
> When Microsoft released Visual Studio 2005 and had the unmitigated gall
> to issue a warning message for 'printf' I about blew a gasket. Now my
> code is littered with '#pragma warning(disable:4996)' to prevent VS2005
> from throwing warnings everywhere for 100% perfectly ANSII C compliant
> code!!!!!!!!!!
> """
>
> I haven't done much with VS2005 yet, because I found it to be rather
> more slow and bloated than VS2003, and they yet again changed all the
> key bindings around for no apparently good reason.  And yeh, the "you
> must use our new and improved secure standard library" warning messages
> are annoying too.   I think that's what John is referring to there.
>
> --bb

That's one of the practically-useless warnings I got in the situation I
mentioned here:
http://www.digitalmars.com/webnews/newsgroups.php?art_group=digitalmars.D&article_id=74201

Like JAndersen mentioned, I simply disabled that kind of warnings
globally in the compiler settings. I don't see why one would have to
litter one's code with various '#pragma warning(disable:4996)'. That
seems somewhat stupid, and reveals a lack of proficiency with the tool
(VS) he's using, no?

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate