Wish: Variable Not Used Warning

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 19:45:09 PDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 11:15 AM, Robert Fraser
<fraserofthenight at gmail.com>wrote:

> Jussi Jumppanen wrote:
>
>> Bruno Medeiros Wrote:
>>
>>  Before some people here say they don't use an IDE, but instead use
>>> <editor foo with syntax highlighting and little more than that> and are fine
>>> with it,
>>>

>> I would say that the reason developers still prefer to code with text
>> editors rather than IDE's is they find the text editor more productive.
>> Eclipse based IDE are just far too slow for a good developer's fingers.
>>
>> When you're used to a super quick, highly responsive editor, it can be
>> terribly frustrating to have you step down to a slow IDE.
>> The slowness of the keyboard response turns what was an automatic action,
>> that of typing, into a though process and this plays havoc with the
>> 'thinking about the code while I type' through process.
>>

> Bullshit. Do you have a 200 MhZ Pentium with 128MB RAM? Even then, IDEs are
> going to prioritize the editor itself over any autocomplete/background
> processing, so the editor shouldn't be any less responsive. It might take 5
> seconds if you click "go to definition" and it has to open a new file, but
> that's vs 2 minutes of searching for an import, finding the file location,
> and using find to get to the definition in that file.
>
> The issue is the placebo effect and the comfort zone... which are real
> issues (that's why so many people are like "oh, Vista is soooo bloated
> compared to XP"...). If you've been using ed to write code for the last 30
> years, the mental concept of using your $2000 computer to its full potential
> to help you write software is mind-boggling. If you're more comfortable with
> your "power-editor" or just can't deal with a 1-minute startup time for a
> product you're going to be using for 8 hours, well all the more power to ya;
> no amount of productivity gains could make you willing to switch.
>
> I'm not saying "more complex is always better," but why let all that
> processing power go to waste?

I think part of the problem is that there are a whole lot of IDEs that
really don't live up to the potential you guys are talking about.  Plus IDEs
come with their own set of problems.  For instance I just wasted most of a
day getting a MSVC7 project set up to also work with MSVC9.  That's just
ridiculous.  Microsoft goes and makes these minor changes to their project
file formats for every release of Visual Studio, and then only provide a
tool to do 1-way, in-place upgrades of all your project files.  It's
insane.  Just imagine if you were forced to fork your makefiles for every
dang version of GCC that comes out.  The way project management works in
IDEs is often just completely silly like that.

The so called "Intellisense" in Visual Studio also has historically been
pretty lame, with refactoring support basically non-existant.  The Visual
Assist add-on from Whole Tomato was pretty much a "must" to bring it up to
snuff.  I get the impression that the Java IDEs offer a lot more on the
refactoring frontier.  So that's just to say, it's easy to get the
impression that IDEs are not useful because there are many IDEs that
genuinely are not that useful.  I can see where Jussi is coming from.  I
have a feeling when Brunos says "IDE" he's thinking of IDEs at their very
best.  Not another one of these lame editors with syntax highlighting and a
"compile" button that claims to be an IDE.

I still primarily like to use my good ole emacs for writing large amounts of
new code.  There I don't find all the little buttons and completion popups
and things in an IDE very useful.  But when it comes to debugging and fixing
code, damn it's nice to have the IDE there with all it's quick cross-linking
abilities.  The integrated debugger in MSVC is also damn fine.

--bb