Wish: Variable Not Used Warning

Paul D. Anderson paul.d.removethis.anderson at comcast.andthis.net
Mon Jul 28 15:59:14 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter Wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:56 AM, Robert Fraser
> <fraserofthenight at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > VS is crap (when the VS team is using Source Insight to develop it, you
> > know something is wrong...). Even Visual C# pales in comparison to what
> > I can do with Eclipse + JDT for Java; you have to use ReSharper to get
> > the functionality a real IDE can provide.
> >

> Hmm, Brunos is an Eclipse fan too.  So maybe when you guys say "an IDE" you
> really mean "Eclipse+JDT for Java".  Are there any other IDEs, for any
> language, out there that you would deem acceptable?  Just curious.
>
> --bb

I prefer IntelliJ for Java development, although Eclipse or NetBeans are both good tools. IntelliJ has better (IMHO) code completion, macro and refactoring capabilities, but the difference is probably just that I've used IntelliJ more. If I had to pick one feature that stands out it is the refactoring.

IntelliJ is a commercial product but they have a policy of making it available to open source projects at no cost (which I've been the beneficiary of).

Paul