Wish: Variable Not Used Warning

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Wed Jul 30 15:00:47 PDT 2008

Bill Baxter wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 2:56 AM, Robert Fraser
> <fraserofthenight at gmail.com <mailto:fraserofthenight at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     VS is crap (when the VS team is using Source Insight to develop it, you
>     know something is wrong...). Even Visual C# pales in comparison to what
>     I can do with Eclipse + JDT for Java; you have to use ReSharper to get
>     the functionality a real IDE can provide.
>

> Hmm, Brunos is an Eclipse fan too.  So maybe when you guys say "an IDE"
> you really mean "Eclipse+JDT for Java".  Are there any other IDEs, for
> any language, out there that you would deem acceptable?  Just curious.
>
> --bb

There's Eclipse+CDT, like Yigal mentioned. Although I haven't used it or
examined it in-depth recently, I think it has advanced a lot in the last
years, and is on-par, if not better, that VS. Configuring a compiler
might not be as easy as VS, since CDT doesn't come bundled with one, but
on semantic features (code completion, open/find references,
refactoring) it seems to be much better than VS is. Dunno about debugging.
IntelliJ is also pretty good, but it's a paid IDE.

But really, for the point I was making (productivity of simple tools vs.
IDEs), it did still apply with many other IDEs, like VS, KDev, etc.. I
wasn't thinking of Eclipse alone.

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Developer, MSc. in CS/E graduate