[D2] How to not full closure?

Bill Baxter wbaxter at gmail.com
Wed Jul 30 16:31:47 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 8:01 AM, Steven Schveighoffer
<schveiguy at yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Bruno Medeiros" wrote
>> I wish there wasn't a need or desire to maintain 1.0 compatibility, and
>> people would move to 2.0. The sole key to this being Tango of course. I
>> understand you have good motives for not moving to 2.0 yet, but I hope
>> those can solved quite sooner rather later. The D community has allways
>> been divided in two camps, but never has the "rift" been so wide and
>> hurtful as now. :/
>
> We have tried.  D2 has too many blocker bugs for Tango to work properly,
> otherwise, there would be a D2 port.
>
> But even if this did happen, there is no way that Tango would move to an
> as-yet-unreleased compiler and abandon efforts on D1.  And most likely, D1
> Tango would continue to exist because some people simply don't like const.
>
> I plan to move to D2 as soon as Tango can build with it.

Is there a list of these Tango blocker bugs somewhere?

Perhaps the list should be put into bugzilla as a meta-bug that
references all the relevant issues in bugzilla.  I have to believe
that if Walter had a clear idea of what the bugs blocking Tango were,
that he would prioritize them and wipe them out within a release or
two.

--bb