Sharing in D

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Jul 31 12:56:58 PDT 2008

Sean Kelly:
> I am very much concerned that the "future of D" is
> as a general applications language and that its systems language roots will
> be left to rot.  And who needs another applications language, anyway?  The
> world has a million of them.

I think D is already partially unfit for being a system language, the runtime memory footprint is large; here it's compared with Free Pascal:
http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=dlang&lang2=fpascal

The GC can be disabled, but you have to carry it around in the executable anyway. The size of the executables produced by DMD is large compared to the exes you obtain from stripped C. At the moment you can't run such things on sytems with little RAM, as you can do with C.
Regarding the hard real time systems, I think people there are scared of a GC (even if in practice it's not a problem). So at the moment there are many things you can do with C that are a problem to do with D.

Bye,
bearophile