Sharing in D

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Jul 31 14:56:23 PDT 2008

dsimcha:
> A few things:  First of all, Pascal is from the Stone Age and therefore has had a
> chance to be optimized in every way feasible to make it as tight as humanly
> possible.

Yet, we're talking about a pretty modern ObjectPascal here, with a syntax quite close to the Delphi one. I have used it, and it's a good language, you can write tons of things with it, and it's way different from the C language, it has many nice modern things, and very little pointers, it's plenty fast, the IDEs are good, etc, but I understand your point and I agree. I know that D is young, etc, and if you follow this group you probably know that I like D.

> Second:  I actually think D is a great application programming language that fills
> a pretty useful niche.  I am a computational biologist, so my needs are basically
> performance, correctness and ease of use.

I too use D mostly for bioinformatics, I have introduced it (with Python, well Python first) in my lab that so far has used mostly Perl/Fortran/C. And I too like to use D for such purposes, sometimes Python is too much slow, and I don't want to use Cython much because for me programming in D is much simpler than keeping track of the mad reference counts in Cython programs. (But I think such purposes of D aren't exactly the same you may want from a system language this thread was talking about, you too talk about 'application programming language').

Bye,
bearophile