Sharing in D

Walter Bright newshound1 at digitalmars.com
Thu Jul 31 23:10:41 PDT 2008

superdan wrote:
> i'm afraid c++ and c++0x and java are "actually fine" to write
> multiprocessing code if the coder is fucking superman on steroids
> after an overdose of ritalin.

There's also the issue of the person who thinks they know how to write
multithreaded code, but don't. Want an example? Just look at some of my
older code.

This code may "work" well enough that the problems don't appear until
years later. Then what?

I remember the reaction to Herb Sutter showing some of the things that
can go wrong to multithreaded programmers - it was holy ****, I had no idea!

Having no compiler help with this is like turning off static type
checking. Sure, if you're a good programmer, you don't need static type
checking!

I believe there is a growing need to be able to statically *prove*
things about a program. If that can be done, you don't have to rely on
experts being always right. Java, for example, can prove your program is
memory safe. Certain classes of bugs cannot happen with Java programs.
The more classes of bugs that can be defined out of existence, the
easier it will be to verify correctness regardless of the expertise of
the programmer.