[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Fawzi Mohamed fmohamed at mac.com
Mon Jun 2 11:36:28 PDT 2008

On 2008-06-02 17:46:37 +0200, BCS <ao at pathlink.com> said:

> Reply to Fawzi,
>
>> Chris Wright Wrote:

>>> I don't think anyone has come close to describing the odds of
>>> abiogenesis.
>>>
>> definitely OT, but
>> J. Maynard Smith, Eörs Szathmáry: The Major Transitions in Evolution.
>> New York 1995, Oxford University Press. ISBN 0-19-850294-X
>> contains several interesting thoughts about it :)
>
> Link by any chance?

Sorry It is a paper book.

http://www.amazon.com/Major-Transitions-Evolution-Maynard-Smith/dp/019850294X
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Major_Transitions_in_Evolution

 Being old it is not so cheap.
The same authors have also published a newer book on a similar theme
which might be good, and is very cheap, but I haven't read it.

http://www.amazon.com/Origins-Life-Birth-Origin-Language/dp/019286209X/ref=pd_bxgy_b_text_b

Anyway

the question for the origin of life it isn't how to create a cell by
chance, but how to create the simplest auto replicating blocks on which
then evolution can kick in, and one can imagine some situation in which
this can happen, improbable for sure, but not impossible...