[~ot] why is programming so fun?

aarti_pl aarti at interia.pl
Mon Jun 2 15:11:48 PDT 2008

BCS pisze:
> Reply to Aarti_pl,
>
>> Walter Bright pisze:

>>> My difficulty with the higher power explanation is one is left
>>> wondering how the higher power came to be. Did a higher higher power
>>> create it? And you know where that is going <g>.
>>>
>> This argument is rather easy to answer <g>, as it is based on
>> assumption that "higher power" has to have beginning. If you remove
>> this assumption your question would become pointless. (Christians
>> claims indeed that God has no beginning). Additionally you can ask
>> similar question: what was before 'Big Bang' and you have same problem
>> to answer it.
>>

> nice. One view even holds that the concept of "everlasting" with it's
> inherent binding to time is inapplicable to god. Like the god as an
> author model (see my other reply); Where was the author before the first
> page of the book, and where does he go after the last page? The question
> is as meaningless as; what is the conversion rate from the color red to
> US dollars?

I like very much parallel with book's author. One of my favorite stories
is about death of Ophelia in Shakespeare's Hamlet. She died because
tree's branch have broken, she fell into stream and drown.

Let's put a scientist into Shakespeare's book of Hamlet. He will analyze
exactly what was happening. He will measure, calculate and note
everything down. His conclusion will be that Ophelia has drown because
she was too heavy for this branch. He will say exactly what happened.
And it will be true description.

But wait... We know that Ophelia died because that was decision of
Shakespeare... He created the whole world of Hamlet, characters, trees,
and also this unlucky tree's branch. And in fact it doesn't matter so
much what exactly was happening with atoms and particles when Ophelia
was falling down into stream...

Where the truth lies? How is it possible that two completely different
explanations are not contradictory?

And what's more interesting - scientist from Shakespeare's book CAN NOT
(logically not possible) know anything about outside world without two
things: REVELATION and BELIEF.

Regards
Marcin Kuszczak
www.zapytajmnie.com