[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Chris Wright dhasenan at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 20:53:00 PDT 2008

aarti_pl wrote:
> Walter Bright pisze:
>> Gregor Richards wrote:
>>> and so they think "Wow, given the extremely low odds that a protozoan
>>> would appear by random chance, we must have been created by a higher
>>> power!" Idiots.
>>
>> My difficulty with the higher power explanation is one is left
>> wondering  how the higher power came to be. Did a higher higher power
>> create it? And you know where that is going <g>.
>
> This argument is rather easy to answer <g>, as it is based on assumption
> that "higher power" has to have beginning. If you remove this assumption
> your question would become pointless. (Christians claims indeed that God
> has no beginning). Additionally you can ask similar question: what was
> before 'Big Bang' and you have same problem to answer it.

Two possibilities: that before the Big Bang, the universe was not
sufficiently formed to have a meaningful concept of "before", or that
due to the nature of the Big Bang, there is no feasible way of testing
any ideas about what may have come before.

Religion doesn't attempt to answer that question, by and large; science
hasn't come up with much useful in that regard, either.