[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Tue Jun 3 11:26:47 PDT 2008

== Quote from Robert Fraser (fraserofthenight at gmail.com)'s article
> I think most well-reasoned arguments for a higher power or powers accept
> such statistics and instead attempt to explain why the universe itself
> exists rather than life. The majority of such arguments do not seem to
> be well-reasoned, however.

For better or worse, none of the arguments for the existence of G-d have
help up to philosophical scrutiny.  In fact, I believe philosophical circles
have long since given up on the subject, since it's basically impossible to
prove the existence of something without either epistemological evidence
or without debatable premises (in the case of ontological arguments).
That said, my personal favorites are St. Anselm's and Baruch Spinoza's:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/anselm/
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/spinoza/

Anselm for producing the first ontological argument, and Spinoza because
his argument reads much like a mathematical proof.  Spinoza's argument
is also one of the more solid ones IMO, and it may gain points in some
circles for not being aimed at proving the existence of a strictly Christian
concept of G-d.

Sean