[~ot] why is programming so fun?

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Tue Jun 3 14:23:41 PDT 2008

Reply to Yigal,

> Just to add some relevant facts:
> the article above about YAWEH is Christian nonsense.

What about it is nonsense? You seem to be making a point about how the word
sounds. Are you claming that that there is some ambiguity regarding which
spoken word it is being written?

> Since this
> article derives everything from English translations made 1000s of years
> after the original was written in Hebrew, it is based solely on that English
> translation and _not_ on the original text.
> Fact is Ancient Hebrew didn't have vowels and the bible (the original
> Hebrew version 1.0) contains here and there words that we do not know
> how to read.

A while back I was talking to a Hebrew scholor and I seem to reacal that
there is even some question as to where the word breaks are.

> most of the Bible does have Nikud (marks for vowels in
> modern Hebrew) since the knowledge of how to read it was preserved but
> here and there there are words and phrases we do not know how to
> pronounce. In order to be able to read the bible there were added
> explanations in the margins (most of the time, it's quite clear that
> some word simply contains some typo, or that the letters only have one
> way to be pronounced) but the original text is not changed since it's
> considered holy.
> This is a long explanation to the simple fact that the pronunciation
> of
> "יהוה" got lost in time in the same way, and since it's not a simple
> case of a typo, we simple do not know how to pronounce it. Hebrew
> speakers (like myself) read this word as "adoni" or "Lord" in English
> and this is in fact how it's translated in the [much later] English
> version.

Interesting, I remember hearing that the choice to use adoni was because
it ensured that the original name is never corrupted. Actually, come to think
of it, I seem to recall that the name was actually not written to avoid spelling
it wrong by accident

> one last thing, let's consider god from a logical POV:
> god is all powerful => God can create a rock no-one can lift => god
> cannot lift the rock or god cannot create such a rock => contradiction

That assumes that god is inside the universe. That in and of it's self is
a problem. When you start dealing with absolutes and infinities things fall
about in all domains of logic.

Look up Russell's paradox or the halting problem for some real examples of
where this happens in domains that are not theological.