[~ot] why is programming so fun?

John Reimer terminal.node at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 20:33:05 PDT 2008

Hello Bruce,

> On Tue, 03 Jun 2008 05:50:05 +0100, Gregor Richards
> <Richards at codu.org>  wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> While I wouldn't put it quite so vigorously, Hear! Hear!
> (why deliberately throw Christians in with Lions? especially when they
> might be in the NRA)

The "science" that ascribes to abiogenisis and evolution is very much religious
as one can see from the vitriolic outpour of its proponents; it is not science
nor is a name-calling debate scientific.  I appreciate the fact that Gregor
begs to differ on that statement.  But saying one places his trust in reason
alone is rather begging the question: how does this "reason" exist in a random-chance
universe; did this abstract ability to reason evolve alongside everything
else in random fashion of trial and error or did it also appear from nothing
in the big bang; does it continue to evolve, expand, and perfect itself in
direct conflict with entropy?  If it does, does that make it imperfect right
now?  When will reasoning and reason be perfect?  If it isn't perfect, does
that mean our reasoning is greatly flawed still?  Will another million years
make it unflawed?  If it was very flawed several million years ago, what
effect did that have on macro evolution so many years ago (or vice versa)?
 How ever does one know his reasoning skills are reasonable in such a universe
(sorry, Gregor... that might grate you, but I suppose we'll never see things
the same. ;) )  This does require a very /potent/ faith to believe is such
improbabilities and that is a faith in "reason" itself.  Should we add a
few more billion years to try to resolve it?  Would that help? :)

Concerning Christianity and religion:

Christianity is a worldview, not a religion.  When it is adopted as a religion,
with pompous ceremony, hypocritical action, and false motive for power...
then perhaps it might classify as a religion... but then almost any type
of ideology is subject to the same problem.  This world has proven over and
over that man will use ANY means to control or gain power... the "religion"
excuse is just one of many ideologies used as tool for manipulation.  Real
Christianity is not so, nor does it, if any of you read the Gospel, represent
anything of a self-centered, mass-controlling ideology designed for personal
gain.  Separate Christianity from the religiousity and one might be able
to evaluate the picture differently.

My point is... you pit "science" against "religion" with the implication
that these are "at odds" with each other, when, in fact, this is really pitting
one form of religion against another (or if it were two worldviews: realism
verses theism).  It's sad to see people start to believe in science as a
self-fulfilling singular entity of truth -- that it is not. I believe strongly
in a scientific process and /reason/, but I claim that such only make sense
in theistic worldview in which structure and control are not based on random
chance.  Reason continues to exist despite ones worldview, but its existance
is ill-defined and perhaps faultily directed apart from theism.

There is no need to force such ideas on anyone, of course.... Nor is there
a need to immediately conjure up images of NRA or terrorists to blight the
idea of a God-centric worldview. Like I said earlier, man will perform evil
with or without theistic worldview: they are very adept at using any ideology
that comes in handy -- and sadly religion becomes a tool as well.  Nonetheless
this abuse is no disproof of the validity of theism nor does it represent
it.  It many contexts, it represents the desires of the people abusing it.

One is entitled to perceive this universe as one likes, but that person is
taking a monstrous chance in the sense that his misunderstanding of reality
could result in dire consequences that could have been easily avoided:  for
example,  the bible claims that the "wages of sin is death" and that those
who practice lawlessness" will be subject to judgement by a holy God and
eternal punishment.  If this claim is true, all who practice lieing, stealing,
adultery, coveting, sexual immorality and so on will (1) experience the consequences
of such sins on earth and (2) will have to answer for their sin before a
just and holy God after they die.  Now does my saying this make it so? No,
but it certainly bares careful thought, I think, especially given the fact
that these sins repeatedly (and probably testably) do result in corruption,
depression, and disaster in one's life and those he or she touches.  And
not just for those that reject a theistic worldview, but even more so for
those that call themselves "Christians" but act otherwise.

And this is the problem we face today where there is a struggle to represent
a theistic worldview in any good light because so many claim a form of it
but putrify the reality of it with abuses of self-service, power, immorality,
and religiousity.  This is a hypocracy that has no part in Christianity:
for example, divorce and remarriage (called adultery in the bible -- marriage
is for life) being one of the biggest issues of our age is "re-molded" and
redefined as natural and normal.  The result? Today's "Christians" are indeed
becoming the more guilty and hypocritical in that they absolve their sin
amongst each other, meanwhile promoting a false salvation from sin... and
in the process single-handedly become the greatest argument against their
"apparent" worldview by presenting to the world that sin isn't really sin.

I claim that their is a truth here that is not represented by our culture
anymore, but is easily found if one searches for it honestly.  I write just
as openly as anyone here that would offer a view of their own philosophy
of life. It is not forced, racist, biggoted, based on vitriol, or uncaring...
but rather is offered because I do earnestly hope people will find truth
and the meaning of "reality".  It is a belief, yes belief, that life is more
than this little span of time on earth, that there is hope-- not based in
evolutionary survival of mechan-electro-chemical random reactions --  and
that death to self and subjection to a loving God through Jesus Christ and
his offering of salvation is the fundamental key to understanding what life
trully means and is a escape from the addictions and corruptions that will
most certainly enslave and destroy us.

Take it or leave it. :)

-JJR