[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Wed Jun 4 15:23:59 PDT 2008

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Robert,
>
>> BCS wrote:
>>
>>> With 6 billion people out there, either someone is right or we will
>>> never get it. In the first cases, the assertion is wrong, in the
>>> second it is irrelevant.
>>>
>> Or someone in the future will "get it", but no one has yet.
>>

> The likelihood of that is only a few orders of magnitude better than
> spontaneous generation of life. a.k.a. Darn small. (but it might be true)

Why would you say that? There's a large sample space of possible reasons
the universe exists - either infinite or certainly larger than the
entire human population that has been able to write in some capacity. In
addition, how many such systems of universal creation do you (or anyone
else) know about? Most people don't ask the question, but accept an
existing one. Maybe there's 10,000 different systems bing actively
believed (perhaps with some variation) by every human living on Earth today.

In particular, with scientific advancement at the rate it's going right
now, it might be possible to find additional scientific evidence that
suggests a different theory on the existence of the universe.

I believe the opposite: that it's nearly impossible for such a system
that is correct to have already been found or imagined, but it's very
possible that a system will be found some time in the future. But
probably not within the lifetimes of anyone positing on this thread.

(Note that I'm not trying to say "science is the answer", just saying
that scientific advancement may suggest addition systems of belief. In
the end, IMO, it all comes down to having faith in one such system.)