[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Me Here p9e883002 at sneakemail.com
Wed Jun 4 18:06:59 PDT 2008

Walter Bright wrote:

> Gregor Richards wrote:
> > and so they think "Wow, given the  extremely low odds that a protozoan
> > would appear by random chance, we  must have been created by a higher
> > power!" Idiots.
>
> My difficulty with the higher power explanation is one is left wondering
> how the higher power came to be. Did a higher higher power create it? And you
> know where that is going <g>.

I'm afraid mine's even more cynical than that.

If God is all powerful, and omni-present, why on earth would it be bother to
create insignificant beings like us and demand that we worship it?

There are only three possible explanations:

1/ It enjoys watching us suffer floods, plagues, earthquakes, wars, starvation
and pestilance.

Like we enjoy the trials and tribulations of the characters in soap operas.
Some will recognise this view as Greek Mythology. Kinda kicks the "benevolent
and forgiving" theory into touch.

2/ It is so ego-centric that it needs the adulation of billions (what would
this number mean to an omni-present being?), in order to feel good about itself.

Again, it doesn't quite fit with the mythology. "You have to believe without
proof otherwise it isn't true belief". Sounds like the magic circle to me.

3/ It a mechanism whereby a few strong minds effect control of large numbers of
weak minds.

"I know the will of God, and if you don't do as I advise (which includes
keeping me in good food and luxury), it'll smite you down and consine you to a
purgatory for eternity."

And there are still billions that blindly follow the "advise" of a priviledged
few.

Life is short. Live it now. You don't get a secind chance.

Metaphysically, b.