[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Georg Wrede georg at nospam.org
Thu Jun 5 15:56:28 PDT 2008

Manfred Nowak wrote:
> Gregor Richards wrote:

Apology: In this post I'm just mudding the waters, I'm not actually
pursuing my own points here.

>>Any god which did not create the rules of logic and reason is not
>>a god
>
> If there existed a unique structure which was all powerfull, then:
>
> 1) How did it preserve its own existence?
> How can anyone, including that structure, be sure, that that structure
> has not eliminated itself by purpose or accident?

Well, if that structure (or whatever) actually did create logic and
reasoning, then obviously logic and reasoning is something within what
he created (i.e. our universe). That is, the best we can do is try to
think and reason logically, but since they are his creation (and
presumably he created them to sort-of "rule" or be "valid" in this
universe he created), he himself is beyond their realm.

If I create a world in my kids' sand box and I get to create the rules
and logic -- that obviously does mean it doesn't apply to me. Suppose I
define /and/ to be /xor/ and /or/ to be /nand/ and /not/ to be
/equivalent/. (Or whatever else arbitrary or random setup.) I bet the
tin soldiers in the sand box would have a hard time figuring out stuff.
Like should we build a bridge or fence here or there. And they sure
couldn't do any successful reasoning about me existing or not existing,
or about my world or life. Not with their crappy "logic"!

So, what I'm saying (I guess), is that assuming or reasoning about a god
who created logic and reason -- is simply futile.

OTOH, the above statement, of course, is the result of my logical
thought process, and therefore as futile, too!

OTTH, so is the now-above statement.

(Am I on a wild goose chase here?)   :-)