[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Don nospam at nospam.com.au
Fri Jun 6 00:56:54 PDT 2008

Georg Wrede wrote:
> Gregor Richards wrote:
>> Yigal Chripun wrote:
>>
>>> one last thing, let's consider god from a logical POV:
>>> god is all powerful => God can create a rock no-one can lift => god
>>> cannot lift the rock or god cannot create such a rock => contradiction
>>

>> I hate this argument.
>>
>> God is all powerful => God can create a rock that he cannot lift =>
>> God /can/ lift the rock => Not a contradiction because God is exempt
>> from logic. Any god which did not create the rules of logic and reason
>> is not a god, and any god which did must himself be exempt from them.
>>
>>  - Gregor Richards
>
> Well put.
>
> (Although I don't believe in god(s), this is well enough put to warrant
> some meditation.)

I don't you even need to argue that God is outside of logic.
More formally, the argument is:
Let C = maximum weight of rock God can create.
Let L = maximum weight of rock God can lift.

All powerful implies:
1. for all x, C > x.
2. for all y, L > y.
and the contradiction is that if you set x==L, y==C, then 1 and 2 are
contradictory.
But the problem with that is, that C and L are not real numbers! They
are limits (infinite).
You get the same apparent contradictions in calculus; the solution was
to be more careful in dealing with limits.

C/L is a NaN, not a contradiction.