[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Me Here p9e883002 at sneakemail.com
Fri Jun 6 02:57:45 PDT 2008

BCS wrote:

> have you ever had a pet? Which reason did you use for keeping it? 1, 2 or 3?
>

> > 1/ It enjoys watching us suffer floods, plagues, earthquakes, wars,
> > starvation and pestilance.
> >
> > 2/ It is so ego-centric that it needs the adulation of billions (what
> > would this number mean to an omni-present being?), in order to feel
> > good about itself.
> >
> > 3/ It a mechanism whereby a few strong minds effect control of large
> > numbers of weak minds.

Sorry BCS, but I have come to expect better arguements from you during our
breif association on this forum.

The direct answer to your question, is "none of the above".

There is a distinct and huge difference between:

 	- "keeping a pet"--feeding it, taking it for walks, petting it. Simply
enjoying the affection it demonstrates--of its own volition-- and the
companionship it provides.
and
	*Creating* a entire race of sentient beings, along with a million other
species, a world, and a universe containsing millions of galaxies and billions
of stars...
	And then compelling them to subscribe and adhere to a set of (variously) 10
commandments; 613 rules; etc. etc. on pain of eternal damnation if they fail to
believe, subscribe and adhere...PURELY FOR MY OWN AMUSEMENT.

And that last uppercased part is the point. Give, describe, or otherwise
elucidate *one* reason, justification or purpose to creating sentient beings,
endowing them with "free will", decrying them from using it;  and condeming
them if they do?

The *only* "explanantion I'ev ever been offereed from "believers" for this
question, is "its just an experiment".. But, if the creator is all-poerful, and
omni-present--and it must be, if it is a "god"--then it knows the outcome for
the experiment starts, so there is no purpose other than one of the 3 above,

b.