[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Yigal Chripun yigal100 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 10:02:40 PDT 2008

BCS wrote:
> Reply to Yigal,
>
>> And indeed here lies the crux.
>> You believe that concepts such as god are absolute while I do not.
>
> Ok based on that I will no longer debate the point. I'm not brushing you
> off or giving up because I think "you are crazy" (because I don't) or
> something like that. We have just reduced the conversation to a
> legitimate philosophical difference. While I still think you are wrong,
> I see where you are coming from and see nothing to be gained by continuing.
>
> Only a handful of Times have I been able to pursue a debate to this kind
> of resolution. Generally, the crux comes out to be something wars have
> been fought over (the other cases that comes to mind devolved to
> communism vs. capitalism)
>
>> you can continue to believe that
>> god is an absolute and universal concept agreed upon by all humanity
>
> Almost. I believe that the /concept/ of god (distinct from the reality
> it describes) should be something everyone can agree on. The actual
> existence of the described reality is something I belive in but /don't/
> think is inarguable.
>
>> (that's the Christian world view). All I'm saying to you is that my
>> concept of god (based on my cultural origins) is different.
>
>> you can
>> take it or leave it. your choice.
>
> lets leave it.
>

>> --Yigal
>>
>> PS - you should read about the Sapir conjecture in wikipedia to see
>> how culture and language influence the way we think.
>>

> dropping "Sapir conjecture" into Google put this post above wikipidia !!!
>
> errr... actually wikipidia doesn't even seem to have anything on it. Link?

So we agree to disagree. As you said, I still think you are wrong, and
while as you say the /concept/ of god should be something everyone can
agree on, in reality this just isn't so. our own debate here is proof.
and I think that not only there are different views based on culture but
even two individuals within the same cultural framework would have
slightly different views of what that concept means.

the link is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapir-Whorf_Hypothesis

English related question: are "conjecture" and "Hypothesis" synonyms?

--Yigal