[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Simen Kjaeraas simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 01:10:07 PDT 2008

On Sat, 07 Jun 2008 23:40:15 +0200, BCS <ao at pathlink.com> wrote:

> Reply to Yigal,
>
>> Thanks :) I learned here in Israel. English is taught as a required
>> second language in Israel since we are a small country and that allows
>> us to communicate with other nations.
>> I doubt any foreigner that wants to do business here will learn
>> Hebrew,
>> therefore Knowing English is a required skill.
>> the slight difference is probably due to different cultural thought
>> patterns (I think in Hebrew...), maybe I'm yet another prove to the
>> Sapir-Whorf Hypothesis <G>
>
> Cool. In one way that might give you an advantage over many people; when
> you converse in English you are forced to construct a concept in both
> languages. To do that I suspect that you will need to consider it more
> carefully than many people do.

I'm from Norway, and I speak a lot of english with my friends, as most
programming books, articles, and whatnot we read, are in english, and
there's little reason (except to exercise my language muscles) to
translate when we all speak english pretty well. This use of english, and
the fact 90% of what I read is in english (books, articles on the web,
text in games, etc), has lead to english being a language I can think in.
No translation to/from norwegian, no need to construct concepts in both
lang