erlang-vs-scala

renoX renosky at free.fr
Sun Jun 8 14:51:33 PDT 2008

janderson a écrit :
> A friend at work pointed out this article to me:
>
> http://yarivsblog.com/articles/2008/05/18/erlang-vs-scala/
>
> -Joel

Very interesting, thanks.

Ssome advantage of Erlang are mostly theoretical in my book: 'hot code
swapping' bah, if you want to have full availability you need redundant
hardware and you can use this for software version change (though it's
not trivial I agree).
If you don't need full availability you just stop your software for
version change: it's much more simple this way.

Also, I disagree about the 'ease' of learning Erlang: Erlang has an
alien syntax (which I don't like much) and an alien way of doing things
(single assignment) which is not so easy for developers..
IMHO developers learn Erlang because it's good at distributed
programming not because of the language itself whereas Scala has a
really nice syntax (better than D's), but it's not as good as
distributed programming some criticism in the article where interesting
(cooperative scheduling)..

renoX