erlang-vs-scala

Robert Fraser fraserofthenight at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 21:40:35 PDT 2008

renoX wrote:
> Ssome advantage of Erlang are mostly theoretical in my book: 'hot code
> swapping' bah, if you want to have full availability you need redundant
> hardware and you can use this for software version change (though it's
> not trivial I agree).

When developing in Java for Eclipse (that has a ~1 min startup time), I
frequently use hot-swapping and am often annoyed the sun JVM only allows
hot-swapping for method body changes.

I looked into adding native code hot-swapping support on top of DDL, but
it looked like all the challenges of writing a static linker + a dynamic
linker + a compiler, so I gave up.