More embarrassing microbenchmars for D's GC.

Marius Muja mariusm at cs.ubc.ca
Tue Jun 10 21:38:09 PDT 2008

Leandro Lucarella wrote:

> Considering that the version with GC disabled is almost as fast as the
> malloc version, and that the time grows exponentially (graph attached)
> with the number of nodes, it looks like the problem is the GC
> collection cycles to me. Is the GC algorithm exponential?

The graph may look exponential but that's often misleading (it may very
well be a polynomial). To tell for sure plot the data on a graph with a
logarithmic Y axis and then on a graph with both axes logarithmic. If
the plot is a straight line on the semilogy graph then it's exponential.
If it's a straight line on the loglog graph then it's polinomial.