[~ot] why is programming so fun?

Don nospam at nospam.com.au
Wed Jun 11 00:36:55 PDT 2008

> == Quote from Aarti_pl (aarti at interia.pl)'s article
>> Don pisze:
>>> This sounds mostly correct to me. I'm surprised John disagreed with it.
>>> BTW, Another similar bizarre belief is that 'Lucifer' is Satan. Lucifer
>>> = Latin for the planet Venus, also known as the morning star. The Bible
>>> is very explicit that 'Lucifer' is Jesus, not Satan (see the second last
>>> verse of the New Testament, for example!). It's a good example of how
>>> common these types of misconceptions are.
>> Well, I can not check original right now, but I would rather say that
>> using 'Venus' name in Bible text can mean different things depending on
>> context. Other meaning is in Is 14,12. Passage from Isaiah is often
>> interpreted as description of devil's fall, although directly it is
>> about king of Babylon.

Indeed. The 'morning star', 'Venus', 'Lucifer', etc is just "the
brightest, most spectacular star in the sky". And in reference to the
King of Tyre, it's another way of saying "How the mighty have fallen!".
It's highly speculative (though of course possible) to associate that
with the devil. But the notion that 'Satan was a fallen angel originally
named Lucifer' is just bizarre. Yet disturbingly widespread.