The Fan Programming Language

BCS ao at pathlink.com
Thu Jun 12 10:59:33 PDT 2008

Reply to Paul,

> From a blog highlighted on java.net --
>
> http://www.jroller.com/scolebourne/entry/the_fan_language_is_it
>
> The blog entry speculates Fan might be a ("the") next-generation Java,
> i.e., not an extension of Java but a new language that avoids Java's
> shortcomings. Whether it succeeds is in the eye of the beholder.
>
> There are some interesting similarities with the D programming
> language. In particular there is a D-like immutability concept. In Fan
> there is only one keyword ("const") with multiple meanings -- const
> variables, const classes and const functions... And there is only one
> kind of immutability -- const objects can never change. No mention is
> made of transitivity. I don't know whether it is ignored or implicit.
>
> Anyhoo, might be worth looking at.
>
> Paul

"Fan runs on the JVM and the .NET runtime. It manages this by writing to
a temporary intermediate format, which then gets further compiled to the
right bytecode."

Source -> Fan-IL -> JVM/MSIL -> bin -> micro-ops -> ...

How far removed from the actual cpu can you get!

(Note: I'm not saying this is a problem...)