D learning curve

Erik Lechak prochak at netzero.net
Fri Jun 13 14:43:16 PDT 2008

Hello Jarrett,

> "Erik Lechak" <prochak at netzero.net> wrote in message
> news:g2un94$16u9$1 at digitalmars.com...
> > Hello Jarrett,
> >
> >> So you know, the difference between Phobos 1 and Phobos 2 is not what
> >> version of GDC you're using.  It's that there are currently two versions
> >> of
> >> D itself: D1, which came out at the beginning of 2007 and which is the
> >> only
> >> version GDC (whatever version it is) supports.  And D2, which is
> >> currently
> >> in an alpha state, which only DMD supports (but there's DMD1 as well).
> >
> > I installed gdc-4.1.  I just assumed the Debian package name gdc-4.2 would
> > contain the compiler for D2 and the Phobos2 library.  But now you have me
> > wondering what is in the gdc-4.2 package.
>
> It's GDC, linked against GCC 4.2.  And, shock of all shocks, gdc-4.1 is GDC
> linked against GCC 4.1 ;)

Holy smokes!  That makes sense.  I read a little too much into the gdc version number rather than look at the obvious.  Newsgroups are a great resource ( for making yourself look stupid ).

So the moral of the story is:

Debian package gdc-4.1:
    Phobos version 1 standard library
    gdc    - a D (version 1) compiler
    gdmd - gdc with command line options mirroring dmd

Debian package gdc-4.2:
    Phobos version 1 standard library
    gdc    - a D (version 1) compiler
    gdmd - gdc with command line options mirroring dmd

Digital Mars package dmd.1.030.zip
    Phobos version 1 standard library
    dmd - a D (version 1 ) compiler (Windows and Linux)

Digital Mars package dmd.2.014.zip
    Phobos version 2 standard library
    dmd - a D (version 2 ) compiler (Windows and Linux)

Thanks again,
Erik Lechak