Adding D Editor Support

John A. De Goes john.withoutspam. at n-brain.net
Sat Jun 14 09:28:52 PDT 2008

Nick Sabalausky Wrote:
> I know this isn't what you're asking for, and maybe it's already in there (I
> haven't looked), but *please* make sure the syntax hightlighting *properly*
> supports both C-style block comments *and* D's nested block comments. It's a
> minor issue of course, but a real pet peeve of mine. Most of the D editors
> I've tried either highlight D's nested comments (ie, "/+ +/") as if they
> behaved like the non-nestable "/* */" comments, or don't even recognize them
> as comments at all.

I'll confess right now that all comments are nestable, even C-style comments. It's something we'll be addressing in a later issue. Personally, I've always been annoyed that comments couldn't be nested. Clearly an artifact of early primitive parser technology.

> BTW, Are you the same John De Goes that wrote a software-3D book about ten
> or so years ago? I still have that around here somewhere. Good book.

Yep, one and the same. As far as I know, there's exactly one "John De Goes" in the whole world, and he's sitting right here talking to you. :-)

Glad you enjoyed the book. I haven't done anything in the gaming industry for years, but I'm looking to get back into the industry, at least in a hobbyist role, later this year.

Regards,

John