D learning curve

Sascha Katzner sorry.no at spam.invalid
Sat Jun 14 11:36:48 PDT 2008

Jarrett Billingsley wrote:
> As for download counts, I'm not so sure any real comparison could be
> made. Phobos comes with the compiler, which can be obtained from many
> sources (directly from DM, the GDC sourceforge page, debian
> packages).  Also, Tango can be checked out of SVN anonymously so I
> don't think there's any reliable way of knowing how many people have
> it.

I think it is pretty safe to assume that the majority of Tango users
prefer the pre-bundled package and not the subversion way (the same
should be true for DMD/Phobos). And since the compiler is already
included in this release you don't have to subtract this count from the
one of the DM website.

So I think if you account for the same time period the download counts
should be a very good hint for the usage ratio of the two libraries.

LLAP,
Sascha