Walter did yo realy go Ohhhh?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Sun Jun 15 16:16:51 PDT 2008

"Robert Fraser" <fraserofthenight at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:g346g3$ou7$1 at digitalmars.com...
> Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>> But then, the whole idea of VMs being better for language interop is
>> preposterous anyway. After all, how do VMs work? You take a
>> high-level-language, compile it down to a sequence of pre-defined binary
>> opcodes, and execute. Hey! Just like a real CPU! So if you can solve
>> language interop on a VM, you can do the same thing to solve it for
>> native code.
>
> By that argument, anything that a VM can do, native code should be able to
> do. This is kind of true, but to get some of those things (i.e.
> hot-swapping, security management, selective dynamic loading) working, you
> almost need to implement a mini-VM.

True, but I guess what I was trying to say was "How do VMs work from the
perspective of language interop?" From the security perspective, for
instance, there are differences (With a VM, you can sanbox whatever you
want, however you want, without requiring a physical CPU that supports the
appropriate security features.) But for language interop it all just comes
down to "standard ABI" regardless of whether it's a VM's machine code or a
real CPU's machine code.