Adding D Editor Support

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Sun Jun 15 19:43:37 PDT 2008

Chris R. Miller wrote:

> If you use D for the browser based stuff, you'll have the great
> advantage of not needing to sink all the extra money into a server with
> extra RAM to support J2EE, which can consume a frightful amount of memory!

Actually, when people use the term 'browser-based games' they are
usually referring to Flash, Silverlight, Java Applets, or some sort of
custom browser plugin (i.e. games that run within the browser). I'm
thinking that's what John is referring to. D provides no benefit there.

What you are talking about are generally referred to as 'web-based
games' (i.e. games played via HTTP requests and/or browser scripting).
And really, with Java you don't need a J2EE stack for that. A
low-overhead app server like Jetty coupled with Servlets and JSP pages
will do nicely. I'd prefer that to a PHP solution. D would work just as
well in that environment, but my gut tells me there'd be little
difference in memory overhead.